Having a book cover designed can be an exciting experience, but it can also seem a little scary if you’ve never done it before. Here are our top five tips for getting the most from your book cover designer:
- Be sure to do lots of research into other books in your chosen genre. Find some covers that appeal to you and don’t hesitate to share them with your designer, so they can get an idea of the style you have in mind. Try to be consistent with any themes you pick out – no matter how much you love them all, handing your designer a stack of totally different covers could cause confusion.
- Before you start, it’s important to have all of the necessary text for your cover [also called the ‘copy’] ready. The copy, including your book’s title, the author’s name and any descriptive quotes are the most important part of the cover design. No matter how amazing your cover looks, it’s utterly useless without this information. Descriptive quotes from people who have read an early draft can be a powerful selling tool for your book and are great for adding credibility.
- Take the time gather together any photos or illustrations that you have. Whether these are licensed images that you want to include on the cover or just further points of inspiration, they’ll be of great use to your book cover designer. When browsing images online, you should be aware of any copyright restrictions that may be in place as you’ll either need to buy a licence or get the photographer’s permission for anything you wish to use. If this sounds daunting, don’t worry; most reputable designers will be happy to source the images for you.
- If your book is to be printed, you should think about the content for the back cover, including the copy and perhaps a photo of the author and a short bio.
- Again, if you’re producing a print book, think about getting the interior layout sorted early on in the process. The final page count of the book will impact upon the spine width and waiting on the interior can hold up the entire project.
Interested? Find out more about the ebook and book cover design services offered by ebook-designs.co.uk today.